Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inspiration

I am an idealistic person. If I am inspired, I can do so much more. And let me tell you, I am inspired. As I prepare for an informal presentation to a state committee on Thursday on the abuse of restraint and seclusion, these words from President Obama's speech today tremble within me:

We remain a young nation, but in the words of Scripture, the time has come to set aside childish things. The time has come to reaffirm our enduring spirit; to choose our better history; to carry forward that precious gift, that noble idea, passed on from generation to generation: the God-given promise that all are equal, all are free, and all deserve a chance to pursue their full measure of happiness.


I believe in equality. Do nothing out of pity, because that implies inequality.

So I ask of you as president Obama stated:

...extend opportunity to every willing heart — not out of charity, but because it is the surest route to our common good.


Today I remind myself to not tell my children that "life isn't fair", but instead teach them about fairness. I will not tell them "that's the way the world works", but instead show them how to change it. And I will not just tell my children these things, but I will also live by them.

1 comment:

Niksmom said...

"I will not tell them "that's the way the world works", but instead show them how to change it."

Inspirational. Thanks. :-)