Thursday, August 24, 2006

Can they do that?

I was watching the news this morning when it was mentioned that Pluto is no longer considered a planet. Can they do that? I can barely make it through when a radio station changes its morning personality, how am I supposed to continue living when one of our planets has been dismissed from the solar system? No it didn't go anywhere, it's just been demoted to "dwarf planet." What's up with that? Couldn't they have come up with a better name for the category? And no, I do not mean "little person planet," people's first language doesn't apply to planets...or previously-known-as-a-planet universal bodies.

OK, I know there are more important things to worry about, but can a group of people just vote and change the solar system as we know it? More importantly the mnemonics we all learned to memorize the planets in the solar system are now defunct. That right there is enough to push my OCD-self over the edge. First teachers had to start using "take away" instead of "subtract/minus" and now this. Ugh.

Speaking of school, it's about time to get Bubba off the bus. I wonder what he learned today..and if it will even matter in 20 years?

Ready related story.

No comments: