Monday, August 28, 2006

That's weird

Let's just acknowledge the big elephant standing here in this virtual room (Well, I have a whole heard of 'em, but I don't want you to get trampled!)

Moosie will be 3 in December and he is still breastfeeding. It doesn't feel the least bit "weird" to me although I thought I'd feel different before I breastfed a child.

For the most part, Moosie only wants to nurse when he is tired or crabby. He'll ask during the day when we are out and about, and it's easy to distract him. But there are times when there is no putting him off.

One such time was at my sister's house last weekend.

"He still nurses? That's kinda weird."

At least my sister says it. Most people just think it and give me a "Do what you have to do, but I kinda think it's weird" look. That's OK, it doesn't really bother me, but it does make me second guess is it weird?

We'll probably be weaning by 3, because it's becoming more of an inconvenience at night. I haven't slept through the night for about 8 years. Actually, I'm not sure my body could adapt to getting more than 3 hours of uninterrupted sleep!

Not sure why people are so weirded out by breastfeeding. Must be the sexualization of the breasts. Well if anyone saw my breasts after two kids and cycles of gaining and losing weight, they'd have to try pretty hard, maybe even squint and turn their head sideways, to consider them sex objects. Now that's weird.

No comments: