Tuesday, June 12, 2007

May Flowers

Yes I know it is June, but I've been busy. Warm weather means me and the boys are outside A LOT. And it's not always by choice (at least not mine). But I don't protest too much, especially if it involves swimming. I don't look too swell (just swollen) in a swimsuit, but you just can't beat feeling cool and weightless when it's over 80 degrees outside.

Anyhow, I started experiencing the warm weather by redoing our front landscaping. I hadn't touched it much since pre-Moosie, so I dug out all of the perennials (except for the shrubs) and split them (if necessary), Hubby unloaded new topsoil, and we got to work replanting our refurbished plants and adding some new ones. We even went as far as mulching everything and laying down soaker hoses.

I learned a few things:

1) I cannot sustain roses. Oddly enough the only rose bush I have left out of the four I planted four years ago is named after John F. Kennedy. I also had a Dolly Parton rose bush (yes the blooms were potent and big) but it was one of the ones that didn't survive.



2) Never hang a bird feeder over your landscaping. OK, I knew it was 'seed' since it is called 'bird seed,' but I seriously had no idea it would grow things when mixed with bird poop, sun, and water. Now I have ugly weed mat over the affected area trying to kill whatever it is I am growing there. I'm pretty sure I am not growing birds.



3) The ugly, big, annoying black and iridescent birds that preferred the seed by my front door are called Grackles. They give me the willies. Since I have since removed the seed because of number 2 above, the Grackles have gone elsewhere.

4) Apparently rabbits like my favorite flower as much as I do.



5) My flowers don't look as nice when they are all green! That doesn't seem to bother the birds, squirrels, rabbits, and resident groundhog one bit.



6) I finally know the difference between annuals and perennials.

7) Hanging baskets dry out fast. I have as much luck with them as I do with the roses.

8) Children do not understand the difference between weeds and flowers. Never attempt to weed your garden while your children are around.

9) Gardening is great exercise! And I love it.

10) Oh, I'm sure Hubby would like me to mention that I can't properly trim shrubs.

No comments: