Monday, October 8, 2007

Advocacy

I was invited to be part of a panel of advocates for a discussion regarding occupational therapists and their role as advocates (for individuals). I filled the shoes of the "parent advocate." Since these were master-level occupational therapy students potentially pursuing any type of OT career, I felt a little out of place since my experience is only with the "pediatric disabled" part of the community.

I did say something at the end that resonates with me now: "To be a true advocate, you have to do what is best for the person, not always what you think is best."

Think about it. I'm still ruminating and what that means exactly, but will have more to say later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very thought provoking. I heard a similar viewpoint on the radio a while back where an advocate was explaining just how difficult it was to stick to you guns for what you know is best for the individual regardless of the other pressures.
BEst wishes

Niksmom said...

Makes sense to me! Kind of like eating your veggies even though you don't want to.