Sunday, February 25, 2007

Marriage at its most basic form

The following conversation happens daily in our household and is pretty much the outline of all of our marital disagreements. Topics such as money, weekend plans, childcare decisions, etc. can be plugged into the below template. Guess which one is me and which one is Hubby.

A: What do you want for dinner?

B: I don't know, want do you want?

A: I don't know. You decide.

B: I don't want hamburgers, how about roast beef?

A: No, that'll take too long.

B: How about tacos?

A: No, that's too salty.

B: How about pizza?

A: No, I had that yesterday.

B: Come on! Everything I say you say no to. Obviously you have something in mind...what is it?

A: I don't know. I don't know what I want. What do you want?

B: How about soup and salad?

A: No, that doesn't sound good.

B: How about fish?

A: No, I don't feel like fish.

B: Well I'm not going to guess for 30 minutes until I finally trigger your brain so that you can figure out what you feel like eating.

A: How about hamburgers? Yeah, for some reason hamburgers sound good!

B: AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!

By the end I am physiologically ready to explode, complete with tight chest and flushed face and Hubby is usually pretty darn happy because he feels like he has made progress in his decision. Sometimes I feel like I am the problem-solving component of Hubby and my children's brains. Problem is it's like using a map without a key to give directions to someone else in a foreign language...and the orientation keeps changing!!

3 comments:

Mom26children said...

After a long night at home with 6 of my husband's children, he came home and asked what was for dinner....the nerve.
He heated up cold cuts...Good Man.
I found you on HatingAutism..be very careful there.
Jeanette

Ange said...

Thanks for commenting. I could care less about the "hype" part of it. I'm not out to convert him or put him down (I believe in Karma!), really I'm just working out my own feelings on various things and using comments here and there to springboard me in to obsessive compulsive thought.... :)

Mom26children said...

I am happy to hear that..believe me, been there-done that.
Keep your sanity.
Jeanette